Basil From The Garden Pesto
We had a serious overhaul of basil in both ours and Tom's dads veggie patch so I decided to make a big batch of pesto, because pesto can just about go with anything!
Pesto is one of those great home made sauces that is so easy to make and a great alternative to store bought. Store bought sauce is seriously processed and full of all kinds of crap and that crap being mainly sugar! Excuse the French but seriously it is one of those pantry items that you should definitely go without, unless you have found some great sugar free, preservative free, chemical free and numbers free ingredient list.
Basil is also a powerhouse herb containing anti inflammatory benefits and antioxidant properties so make sure you load your blender up!
- 1 cup of fresh basil (home grown if possible!)
- 1/4 cup cold pressed, virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp goat's feta or parmesan
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- handful of greens, spinach and/or rocket
- Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil into your blender.
- Add half of the olive oil and blend the ingredients (to prevent over runny pesto).
- Slowly add more of the olive oil and blend, to determine what consistency you want your pesto.