Homemade Baked Beans
This recipe is one of my favourite go to batch cook recipes for the week ahead. Talk about an easy and healthy brekky option. I will usually cook a big batch up on Sunday and separate it into containers for Tom's and my go to breakfasts or lunch options throughout the week - throw in some boiled eggs or avocado (or both!) and enjoy hot or cold.
Great way to use up any veggies in the fridge looking a little sad or wilted like spinach, silverbeet, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. Also an easy recipe to make vegan or vegetarian.
If you have troubles digesting beans the apple cider vinegar in the recipe will help or try fermenting the beans with filtered water & ACV to pre digest them before cooking them (I have a post about 'how to' do this on my IG & FB pages - I will put it up as a blog also today).
servings: 6-8 // prep time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 15 minutes
- 400g kidney beans
- 400g borlotti beans
- 400g canned tomatoes/cherry tomatoes
- 300g bacon rashes, diced (optional)
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tbsp macadamia oil or butter, ghee, coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- sprig rosemary
- season with salt & pepper
- You can sub in any beans you like as well as veggies
- Mix 1-2 tbsp of bone broth concentrate to add more flavour and amino acids.
- Heat saucepan on a medium heat, add in oil/butter allow to melt.
- Saute onion, garlic and bacon until translucent in colour approx 2-3 mins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in allow to boil and then reduce to a simmer with lid on.
- Simmer for a minimum of 10 minutes allowing the sauce to thicken and increase in flavour.
- You can leave the lid on and allow the beans to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes if you like a richer, thicker sauce and have the time for it.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Make sure you tag me and share your creations & feedback I love to hear if you love the recipes IG: @sofievankempen #sofievankempen or FB: Heal Your Gut.